The History of Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church
A group of 12 charter members met on February 28, 1932, in the home of W.B. Combest, for the purpose of forming the first missionary Baptist church in the Flint area. Bro. A.K. Scott was elected to serve as the first Pastor in July 1934, until November 7, 1936. Bro. Marvin Byrnes served as Pastor from January to October 1937. The property on Pettibone was purchased on February 6, 1937, for the price of $250. Bro. Alfred Thomas was elected Pastor in January 1939 until September 1942. Bro. M.N. Gregson served as Pastor from November 1942 until August 1958. The auditorium was built during this time. From November 1958 until May 1976, Bro. V.E. Gibson served as Pastor. During this time, an addition was constructed. During times when the church was without a Pastor, Brethren Earl Kinney, J.D. Long, Walter Griffin, and M.F. Gean filled the pulpit. Brethren Mark Lasley, Alan Henson, and Charles Saulsbury served as short-term Pastors from 1976 – 1981. In September 1982, the church voted to merge with Eastside Unity Missionary Baptist Church.
The History of Eastside Missionary Baptist Church
On September 7, 1958, Calvary Missionary Baptist Church and New Haven Missionary Baptist Church met to unite their congregations and chose the name “Eastside Unity Missionary Baptist Church.” From September 14, 1958 thru January 3, 1976, Bro. M.N. Gregson served as Pastor. During these years, the church met in a house in Burton. In 1960, they built the basement on Hemphill St. and met there until the building was completed in 1963. Willie Faye Smith served as Pastor from April 1976, to march 1978. On June 7, 1978, Bro. Charles R. Curtman was called as Pastor. Because of the need for more space, in July 1979, 12.5 acres of land was purchased for $112,500. The merger of the Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church and Eastside Missionary Baptist Church was completed in October 1981 and the name “Eastside Unity” was retained even though they began to meet in the “Fellowship” building, due to advantages in space and facilities.
In July 1983, the congregation voted to change their name to
“Cornerstone Baptist Church”
Cornerstone: A Church of New Beginnings
Under the leadership of Pastor Curtman, Phase I of our present building was constructed and dedicated in January 1987. An addition was dedicated in January 1990. Bro. Curtman served for 14 years before resigning in June 1992. Bro. Roy L. McLaughlin was called as Pastor in July 1992. In October 1998, an addition, including a gymnasium, kitchen, nurseries, and 10 classrooms, was dedicated. Pastor McLaughlin served as Pastor until his passing in 2008. In January of 2011, the church called Bro. Chris Yager as Pastor. Cornerstone Baptist Church is about to celebrate Pastor Chris’ 2nd year as Pastor. You can view his Bio HERE!
“Praise ye the Lord. Praise ye the name of the Lord; praise him, O ye servants of the Lord. Ye that stand in the house of the Lord, in the courts of the house of our God, praise the Lord; for the Lord is good: sing praises unto His name; for it is pleasant.” Psalm 135:1-3
The history of Cornerstone Baptist Church is rich with heritage. God has blessed this local church with over 75 years of gospel ministry in the Flint Area. Many great sacrifices have been made throughout the past and many sacrifices will be required of those who desire to see this great work of God continue. May the miracles continue here at Cornerstone Baptist Church!